© Thomas Delaunay
DieppeOne port, four activities

A four port town

Since the 12th century, Dieppe’s proximity to Paris and its plentiful fish, explain the prominent role of this town as an important port. Colbert, Vauban then Trudain each drew up extension plans, but it was only in the 19th century that one saw the new basins appear. Passenger service between Dieppe and England added to the prosperity of the town since 1790.

The history of the town is intimately linked to the sea since its origin. Situated in the centre of the town, the port of Dieppe and its numerous basins are totally interlinked to the town.

1250 jobs are created by the port of Dieppe, whose management is in the hands of “Ports de Normandie“.

Marina

Yachting is on a roll

It is in a site in current transformation that the Dieppe marina welcomed for the first time the departure of the “Tour Voile” (Sailing race in France) in 1995. With this event, the Dieppe marina gained a touristic and sport popularity.

The marina has a great success because boats can enter and exit when they want, regardless of the tide, unlike other ports on the Normandy coast.

Oriented towards leisure, entertainment and tourism, the marina’s facilities make the port one of the oldest French seaside resorts, it is also the closest beach from Paris and the closest seaside resort from London. The nautical sector is a tool for the development of the economy and tourism which generate employment and it is confirm by the label “Pavillon Bleu”. By this asset, the Dieppe region is recognized and is an appreciated maritime area.

The marina, located in the heart of the historic city, is accessible at all times, without tidal constraint. The marina occupies three basins: The Ango Basin (410 Spots), The Duquesne Basin (70 Spots) & The Paris Basin (70 Spots).

Commercial Port

The commercial port, first banana port at the beginning of the 19th century

At the beginning of the 19th century, the commercial port of Dieppe did not lack of activities. It has even become the first port in France for the import of bananas from the Canary Islands and citrus fruits from Morocco. Its relative position to Paris is a great help for the development of commercial activity in Dieppe.

Oil port until the end of the First World War, Dieppe specialized in the fruits traffic, oleaginous and various materials. From 1913, it imposed itself as the French banana port by excellence. The booming business requires new equipment. In 1931, for example, appeared the first isothermal installation intended to better preserve the precious fruits.

In the 2000s, the port of Dieppe experienced a collapse of its exotic fruit trade, mainly because of the road transport and the dominance of the port of Anvers in the area.

Fishing Port

Dieppe, big french harbor for fresh fishing

A figurehead in the port sector, the Dieppe fishery specializes in scallops. First shellfish port of France, the fishing port of Dieppe is the anchor of the town identity.

Starting from the 12th century, Dieppe’s fishermen became the biggest fresh fish suppliers of Paris and Rouen. Three quarters of the supply of Parisian markets came from Dieppe in the eighteenth century, by the mean of the “Chasse-Marée“.

Biggest port of the kingdom under the reign of Louis XIV, Dieppe is also a herring port and the town provided all of the Normans abbeys at the beginning of the 11th century.

During the Restauration, the Dieppois armed themselves to go to Terre-Neuve and Iceland. In 1820, the Dieppe fleet for cod fishing was made of about thirty ships. However, this type of fishing gradually disappeared to benefit the fresh fishing.

After the war, the fishing industry resumed its activities. Despite the damage of the war, Dieppe has remained an important fishing center.

Ferry/Cross-Channel Port

From sailboats to DFDS seaways

Dieppe has always been a privileged crossing point between France and England. When William, who was not yet the “Conqueror”, and his Normans set foot in English lands and conquer territories across the Channel, they initiate the Channel link.

The tourism and economic development of the Normandy coast passes through the Dieppe-Newhaven line. The commissioning of two modern ferries allows the line to relive and it gives to the new operator, the company DFDS Seaways the tools of to succeed. Two connections a day (3 in Summer) are provided by the Albâtre coast or the Seven Sisters, between Dieppe and Newhaven in 4 hours crossing. The capacity of the boats is: 140 cars, 40 trucks and 600 passengers.