A total population of 724 (2006)
Etymologically the name of this commune means the domain of « Angione », from the Latin « cortis » (rural domain). Before 830 AD, the commune was called “Aionecurte” (or Aionecorte). The Roman road from Dieppe to Beauvais crossed this village. This led to different archeological discoveries of the Gallo-Roman period.
A total population of 2,535 (2011)
The commune draws its name from the word « arcas », which means arches of a bridge on the river Varenne, crossing this market town. The term “la Bataille” was added on August 23rd 1882 in memory of the famous battle of Arques led by Henry IV.
Situated close to Dieppe, the town is known for its castle, its church and its rood screen. Arques-la-Bataille also charms by its exceptional natural beauty.
One of the particularities of the commune is the presence of large quantities of ponds and lakes. It is crossed by three rivers, Eaulne, Béthune and Varenne, which join together in this territory to form one of the smallest rivers of France, the Arques, which joins the Channel at Dieppe.
Monuments: The Renaissance Church “Notre Dame de l’Ascension” (jube and retable), ruins of the medieval castle (11th century), school (‘bauhaus’ style), bailiwick (Henry IV and his mounted constabulary), Arques forest and the Green Trail.
A total population of 455 (2006)
In the past, Aubermesnil and Beaumais were neighbouring villages. The name “Aubermesnil” comes from the word “le mesnil (or domaine) of Osbern”, a Scandinavian name. Beaumais comes from “belmeis” (12th century) meaning ‘beautiful house’ from the Latin “bellus” and “mansus”. These communes were first mentioned in the 13th century. The former was dependant on the Abbey of Cormeilles and the latter, on the Abbey of Saint-Wandrille. The parishes were joined by a royal decree of April 24th 1822.
Total population of 136 (2006)
Colmesnil means the « domaine of Koli » from lower Latin « mensionile », rural domaine, preceded by the name of a Scandinavian person Koli. In the 13th century Colmesnil-Manneville was called “Collemesnil”. The village was occupied since the Celtic period. Before their destruction on the orders of the Marquess of Manneville in 1777, there were several Celtic mounds on this territory. The preposition “Manneville” appears only in the 17th century, when the de Manneville family took possession of the fief (stronghold), which was the seat of this famous family for two centuries.
Total poupulation of 796 (2006)
« Greiges » appears already in the 9th century in the charter of Charles the Bald. The church of Sainte Madeleine is mentioned in the Upper Middle Ages. The parish belonged to the canons of the Cathedral of Rouen. Many buildings of the village date back to the 15th and 16th centuries.
Total population of 3,643 (2006)
Monuments: Church of Saint-Ouen with its crooked bell-tower, thousand year old yew tree, Green Trail and the Jacques-Emile Blanche Museum.
Total population 2,076 (2006)
Monuments: The Saint Rémy Church of Hautot, the ruins of the castle of Hotot
The commune of Hautot-sur-Mer was constituted during the reunification, by royal decree on July 10th 1822, of three old villages – Hautot (Hotot-sur-Dieppe), Pourville and Petit-Appeville (formerly Appeville-le-Petit).
The first time these three communes were mentioned dates back to the 11th century, a period during which the lords of Hotot were very powerful. Thomas Beckett (archbishop of Canterbury in the 12th century), Jacques de Molay (Grand Master of Templars in the 13th century) and the Duchess of Longueville (17th century) are some of the important persons linked with the history of these old communes.
In the 19th century, thanks to its casino, Pouville became a fashionable seaside resort, which attracted numerous people for a short stay or to take up a secondary residence : the painters Claude Monet and Auguste Renoir, the comedians Louis Baron and Blanche Pierson, the tennis player Suzanne Lenglen and the musician Claude Debussy as well as the writers Louis Aragon, André Breton, Jean Cocteau and Marcel Proust. It is at Pourville that one of the most tragic events of the Second World War took place – the Operation Jubilee, the landing of the Canadian troops on 19th August 1942.
Total population of 498 (2006)
Martigny owes its origins on the one hand to its excellent geographic position, at the start of the Varenne valley, on land that was not flooded and protected on either side by hills covered with forests. The other advantage is the quality of the soil and the numerous resources of the river. Martigny gets its name from the Gallo-Roman “Martiniacum”, which is composed of the first name Martin, “Martinus”. The first mention of the commune dates back to the 11th century, where the church which already existed. The parish was in fact handed over to the Abbey of Saint-Wandrille by the Duke Richard II in 1024.
Total population of 1,512 (2006)
The archeological discoveries show that the village already existed in the Gallo-Roman period. The territory of Martin-Eglise belonged to the Church of Rouen from 762AD first mentioned until its sale at the end of the 10th century by the Archbishop Robert of Normandy, son of Richard 1st to the Lord Giffart.
The old village of Etran was reunited to Martin-Eglise by decree of the King signed on March 19th 1829. It’s from the port of Etran that the Army of William the Conqueror, camped in Martin-Eglise, embarked in 1066 for the second conquest of England;
The village was called Saint-Martin-Eglise from 1820. At the Revolution, the prefix “Saint” was withdrawn from the names of all the places and latterly reinstated. Martin-Eglise, which was never “Saint-Martin-Eglise”, was endowed with this preposition for a period of time. The rectification of the name was demanded in 1860, which was done by order in 1867. It then went back to its old name.
Total Population of 1,890 (2006)
The first mentions of Bouteilles dates back to a decree of the 7th century which concerned the saltworks. The village had in fact several saltworks, envy of the greatest Abbeys of Normandy from 11th to the 16th centuries.
Total population of 1302 (2006)
The name of the commune was originally “Sancti Albini”. “Sur-Scie” was added at an unknown period due to the fact that the river Scie crossed the commune. The parish of Saint-Aubin-sur-Scie was first mentioned in the 11th century, when the The “Baronnie” of the garden was given around 1030 to the religious orders of the Abbey of Fécamp by Renaud, Viscount of Arques. Saint-Aubin belonged to the Count of Ponthieu in 1219 AD.
Total population of 514 (2006)
Sainte Marguerite-sur-Mer is a Normandy commune tucked away in the flanks of one of the Alabaster coast cliffs. Ideally located between the headland of Ailly and the opening of the Saâne valley Sainte Marguerite-sur-Mer is a rural seaside village with its pastures, cultivations, gardens and woods. It also has a beach, lighthouse and its strand famous for fishing on foot. Originally the village was called Caprimont. It was chosen by the Gallo-Roman administration to build a villa for the Governor.
In the 18th century the construction of a beautiful Roman church was completed. This was later refurbished in the 16th century. The lighthouse dominates the headland of Ailly and its wood, offering a magnificent panorama of the sea and the surrounding county-side.
Sainte Marguerite-sur-Mer was the stage for the landing on August 19th 1942 by the allied commando n° 4 under the orders of Lord Lovat. After destroying the enemy batteries at Blancmesnil, the soldiers embarked at Vastérival and escaped.
Monuments: Sainte Marguerite church, the lighthouse of Ailly.
Sainte-Marguerite-sur-Mer a été le théâtre du débarquement du 19 août 1942 : sur sa plage débarqua le commando allié n°4 aux ordres de Lord Lovat. Après avoir détruit les batteries ennemies de Blancmesnil, ces soldats se réembarquèrent à Vasterival.
Monuments : Eglise Sainte Marguerite, Cap d’Ailly
Total population of 375 (2006)
The oldest mention of Saugueville goes back to the 12th century, when the collegiate was created. Other than this collegiate, there was a hospital until 1479 which was reserved for the poor and placed under the protection of Saint Jean. In the 16th century, the fief of Saugueville was a quarter dependent on the canons of this collegiate and for the rest it relied on the small castle of Longueil.
Total population of 1,185 (2006)
The first time this commune was mentioned was in the 11th century. In 1466 the stronghold of Salsomesnil at Tourville was recognized as a “loyal and noble vassal”.
Total population of 1,113 (2006)
The location and proximity to the sea have always people. Calètes (a Celtic people from Belgium), Romans, Normans, all lived in turn on these lands. On August 19th 1942, Varengeville-sur-Mer witnessed a brilliant show of arms by the British Commando, who destroyed the German battery installed at Vastérival. It was only on September 1st 1944, with the arrival of the Canadians, that the enemy left the country. Since the end of the 18th century, Varengeville-sur-Mer became a residential village, greatly favoured by painters, musicians, writers and artists of all genres or, simply lovers of nature.
- As you like it
- At the present time