Partager

Current Size: 100%

Heritage

 

THE CHURCHES

 

Saint-Jacques Church

Eglise Saint-Jacques

The Saint-Jacques Church: built between the 12th and 16th centuries, the Saint-Jacques church bears evidence to various epochs. A 1st church was constructed on the remains of the small chapel of Sainte-Catherine, which itself was destroyed in 1195. The church that we see today, dedicated to Saint-Jacques was built around 1283. The church on the sea route of pilgrimage to Saint-Jacques of Compostella, was of vast proportions. The building was however not finished until the end of the 16th century. The architectural evolution of the church allows us to follow the traces of Gothic art over 4 centuries.

© Picture : Yann Pelcat

 

Saint-Rémy Church

Eglise Saint-Rémy

The Saint Rémy Church: the first Saint-Rémy church, of which only the tower remains today, was built in the 13th century. It was built at the foot of the hill on which stands the castle. The church gradually fell to ruins and the new Saint Rémy church was built in the heart of the town. It was Thomas Bouchard, deputy mayor and treasurer of the parish who laid the 1st stone in 1522. The gothic centre, surrounded by an ambulatory and radiating chapels, was completed in 1545, but the influence of the first French Renaissance was already visible in the décor. Alas, the construction work was interrupted by the religious wars and recommenced only in the 17th century in a completely new spirit : that of the Catholic counter-Reform.

© Picture : Yann Pelcat

 

Sacré-Cœur de Janval Church

Sacré coeur de janval

The Sacred Heart church of Janval: The Janval church is a modern construction. It is part of an innovative movement. The architect of this church, Georges Feray, was inspired by a new movement (art deco, modernism, regionalism and historical).The tower of the church is 30 metres high and the building was completed in 1926. Built on the traditional Latin cross plan, the church was however inspired by Roman and early Christian churches. It is considered as a seat of sacred art of the period between the two wars.

 

Notre-Dame des Grèves Church

Notre-Dame des Grèves

The « Notre Dames des Grèves » church in the parish of « Pollet », Joseph-Brunel Street, has no architectural originality. It was open for service only on 20th December 1849. The bell tower was built few years later.

Mr Licourt-Lefebvre (1816-1883), a local artist, painter and curator of the Museum, contributed largely to the pictorial decoration of the church. One of the murals that draws attention is definitely the” Wish” or the “Sinking of a Boat”, dating back to 1867. Above the central altar is another painting by the same artist, “Assumption”, done in 1863.

© Picture : Yann Pelcat

 

Chapelle Notre-Dame de Bonsecours

Chapelle ND de BonsecoursDominant la falaise située à l'Est de la ville, la chapelle Notre Dame de Bonsecours fut construite en 1876 et appartenait alors à la Société de secours mutuel. Les dieppois s'étaient en effet engagés à édifier un lieu de culte dédié aux marins, lors de l'inauguration du calvaire de la jetée, seize ans auparavant. Cette chapelle fut tout d'abord un lieu de pèlerinage, puis un lieu dédié à la mémoire des marins disparus en mer. Isolée de toute habitation jusqu'en 1914, elle devint chapelle paroissiale de Neuville les Dieppe, puis fut achetée par l'association diocésaine en 1935.

Construite en briques, elle est composée d'une façade occidentale, très massive avec sa tour de clocher encadrée de deux tourelles surmontées de clochetons à toit conique. Celle-ci contraste avec l'aspect plus léger de la nef et du chevet, comme hérissés de pignons pointus. A l'intérieur, la chapelle est ornée de vitraux et de statues. De nombreux ex-voto et des plaques commémoratives des familles venues se recueillir ou fleurir la mémoire des leurs sont présentés.

© Picture : Jean Decaux

 

Eglise Notre-Dame de l'Assomption à Arques-la-Bataille

Eglise d'ArquesL’église Notre-Dame d’Arques-la-Bataille étonne par ses dimensions et par la disposition de ses espaces intérieurs. L’œil du visiteur est en effet d’emblée séduit par le contraste entre une nef d’élévation assez modeste, voûtée d’un grand berceau de bois du XVIè siècle, et le chœur hardiment élevé et inondé de lumière. La jonction de ces deux espaces est assurée par un jubé de pierre blanche, très rare exemple de ces clôtures de chœur qui furent systématiquement supprimées au cours du XVIIè siècle. Celui-ci subsiste avec toute la splendeur de son décor Renaissance finement sculpté. Les vitraux des XVIè, XIXè et XXè siècles concourent eux aussi à la richesse décorative de l’édifice. L’orgue du jubé fait de ce lieu un centre de création et de diffusion musicales dont le rayonnement est assuré par l’Académie Bach, en particulier au cours de son festival annuel de musique ancienne.

© Photo : Pascal Diologent

 

Saint-Valéry Church

Eglise Saint-ValéryThe Saint-Valéry Church in Varengeville-sur-Mer is perched on top of the cliffs of Ailly, hidden among gardens and woods bordering the cliff and overlooks the sea from a height of 84 metres. The lateral aisle in sandstone dates back to 1548 and was perhaps built by Jehan Ango to enlarge the primitive sanctuary. The Choir is bathed in a blue light diffused by the abstract stained glass of Raoul Ubac, disciple of Braque. The wreathed column is decorated with reliefs which were inspired by maritime expeditions. The 3rd column is polygonal (a Henry II pillar top). In 1998, Michel Ciry offered a large oil canvas entitled “Christ The Redeemer”. Important protection and consolidation tasks were recently undertaken by the municipality, the State, the Department and the Region.

 

It is surrounded by the marine cemetery, made famous by 2 brothers, Jérôme and Jean Tharaud, who lived in Varengeville and wrote several texts about it in the Chronicles of Figaro in 1948. This was the beginning of the fame of this sanctuary. Some artists compare the texts of the Tharaud brothers to the poem by Paul Valéry, the Marine Cemetery, written in 1920 and singing the charms of the marine cemetery of Sète. Analogies were drawn between the two cemeteries.

© Picture : Jean Decaux

 

LE CHÂTEAU DE DIEPPE

Château de DieppePerché sur la falaise et offrant une vue incomparable sur le front de mer et la ville, le Château de Dieppe est ouvert gratuitement toute l'année aux horaires d'ouverture du Musée. Vous pourrez apprécier les terrasses aménagées du Château, mises récemment en valeur par un ensemble de panneaux descriptifs, ainsi qu'un accès balade vers le point de vue-panorama situé sur les falaises. Toilettes publiques gratuites.

© Picture : Bertrand Legros



the castle of ARQUES-LA-BATAILLE

Château d'Arques

The Castle of Arques-la-Bataille stands on top of a dry and rocky hill, dominating 2 valleys and encircled by a man-made ditch. It was originally surrounded by a protective palisade. The castle was allegedly built between 1040 and 1045 by William of Arques. A few years after its edification, William the Conqueror, Nephew of William of Arques, laid siege to the castle. Famine forced him to capitulate after one year of painful siege. In 1123, the youngest son of William the Conqueror, who became Henry 1st, King of England strengthened the castle with a square keep and a wall.

In 1204, Philippe Auguste annexed Normandy and took the castle from Richard the Lion Heart; it was the last Norman fortress to give itself up to the king of France. In 1668 the edifice was pulled down once the military abandoned it. From 1735 to 1771 the site of the castle was converted into a quarry without any authorisation. Louis XVI closed down the stronghold and the locals were allowed to take away the stones.

In 1860, the rooms were converted into a museum, the inside was cleaned and the visits were conducted by a guard. The museum was permanently closed in 1939, with the start of the Second World War and was occupied by the Germans. At the rout in 1944, the occupants had to withdraw by blowing up ammunitions and leaving behind a very dilapidated castle.

 

the "pollet" quarter

Pollet

The «Pollet » is a quarter of Dieppe on the left bank of the mouth of the coastal river Arques, which joins the Channel. It is the marine quarter of Dieppe.

The most common explanation for the name is that it is a contraction of “Port-d’Est” to “Pollet”. But Pollet could have a more ancient Gallic origin. In fact Pollet can be related to the Celtic stem « pol/poul », meaning water reservoir, pond or hole. By extension, it can mean stretch of water, mouth of a river or port. This is the origin of the English word ‘pool’ designating swimming pool. It can also mean an area of damp marsh.

Until the middle of the 11th century the confluence of the three rivers (l’Eaulne, la Béthune et la Varenne) formed a deep estuary surrounded by steep hills. The natural basin was a safe anchoring for the local fisherman and passing ships.

The action of these rivers almost created the island of “Pollet” and up to the 19th century the fishermen used the gentle sloping south bank as a dry dock to carry out repairs on their boats and to prepare them for the fishing season.

 

 

The THeaTRE (DIEPPE)

Théâtre

The Italian style theatre was built by the engineer Frissard and offerd by the municipality to the Duchess of Berry (1826). During the 19th century there were concerts by Liszt, Meyerbeer and later Camille Saint Saëns. Redesigned in 1900 in the “rocaille” style, the theatre was damaged during the war and its façade was redone in cement in the 50’s, before being closed down in 1961. It was reopened in 2002.

© Picture : Yann Pelcat

 

  • Français
  • English
  • Deutsch