Total population 2,076 (2006)
Monuments: The Saint Rémy Church of Hautot, the ruins of the castle of Hotot
The commune of Hautot-sur-Mer was constituted during the reunification, by royal decree on July 10th 1822, of three old villages – Hautot (Hotot-sur-Dieppe), Pourville and Petit-Appeville (formerly Appeville-le-Petit).
The first time these three communes were mentioned dates back to the 11th century, a period during which the lords of Hotot were very powerful. Thomas Beckett (archbishop of Canterbury in the 12th century), Jacques de Molay (Grand Master of Templars in the 13th century) and the Duchess of Longueville (17th century) are some of the important persons linked with the history of these old communes.
In the 19th century, thanks to its casino, Pouville became a fashionable seaside resort, which attracted numerous people for a short stay or to take up a secondary residence : the painters Claude Monet and Auguste Renoir, the comedians Louis Baron and Blanche Pierson, the tennis player Suzanne Lenglen and the musician Claude Debussy as well as the writers Louis Aragon, André Breton, Jean Cocteau and Marcel Proust. It is at Pourville that one of the most tragic events of the Second World War took place – the Operation Jubilee, the landing of the Canadian troops on 19th August 1942.
Total population of 1302 (2006)
The name of the commune was originally “Sancti Albini”. “Sur-Scie” was added at an unknown period due to the fact that the river Scie crossed the commune. The parish of Saint-Aubin-sur-Scie was first mentioned in the 11th century, when the The “Baronnie” of the garden was given around 1030 to the religious orders of the Abbey of Fécamp by Renaud, Viscount of Arques. Saint-Aubin belonged to the Count of Ponthieu in 1219 AD.
Total Population of 1,890 (2006)
The first mentions of Bouteilles dates back to a decree of the 7th century which concerned the saltworks. The village had in fact several saltworks, envy of the greatest Abbeys of Normandy from 11th to the 16th centuries.
Total population of 1,512 (2006)
The archeological discoveries show that the village already existed in the Gallo-Roman period. The territory of Martin-Eglise belonged to the Church of Rouen from 762AD first mentioned until its sale at the end of the 10th century by the Archbishop Robert of Normandy, son of Richard 1st to the Lord Giffart.
The old village of Etran was reunited to Martin-Eglise by decree of the King signed on March 19th 1829. It’s from the port of Etran that the Army of William the Conqueror, camped in Martin-Eglise, embarked in 1066 for the second conquest of England;
The village was called Saint-Martin-Eglise from 1820. At the Revolution, the prefix “Saint” was withdrawn from the names of all the places and latterly reinstated. Martin-Eglise, which was never “Saint-Martin-Eglise”, was endowed with this preposition for a period of time. The rectification of the name was demanded in 1860, which was done by order in 1867. It then went back to its old name.